Saturday, December 13, 2008

Can Tilapia Be Bad?


Like many, possibly millions, of other people in the world, I began to recently enjoy and incorporate the fish, Tilapia, into my diet. This usually bland fish was perfect to manipulate and add whatever flavors I wish to have that day. I felt very proud of myself, being able to cut down on my four-legged meats and add more fish into my diet. I felt I was on the right track, maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

However, I recently came upon an article that shook me out of my tilapia eating ways. The article discussed the possible negative effects of eating farm-raised tilapia. I did further research and came upon a very credible source, Andrew Weil, MD. Dr. Weil states that eating fish IS good for you, but the type of fish matters. He recommends eating fish high in levels of Omega-3 fatty acids, such as wild Alaskan salmon or black cod. The problem with tilapia? According to a study by researchers at Wake Forest University School of Medicine, they found that farm raised tilapia contained very low levels of omega-3 fatty acids and very high levels of omega-6 fatty acids. Omega-6 is not necessarily bad for you, but we get much more of these fatty acids than we need. They're found in many of the snack foods we consume search as cookies and crackers. Omega-3 fatty acids are the fatty acids that are constantly promoted and praised about. They're good for your brain as well as being anti-inflammatory. Researchers claim that the combination of fatty acids in tilapia could pose a danger to people with heart problems, arthritis, and asthma.

So should we stop eating tilapia? That's the question I asked myself when I learned of the possible health risks associate with tilapia. Well Dr. Weil states, "I would not characterize farmed tilapia as "dangerous," but there are certainly better choices out there." I guess the bottomline is balance. Don't eat to much tilapia so that you decrease the amount of Omega-3 fatty acids. Incorporate the necessary nutrients into your life and remember eating fish IS good for you, it's just the type of fish that matters.

MAIN ARTCILE
Category: Vitamin and Supplement
Featured product: Whole Raw Flaw Seed
Picture source

No comments: